Yes! A forward-facing car seat secured only at the bottom may tip dangerously forward in a crash, which can result in the child's head hitting the back of the front seat, other occupants or even the console, causing serious harm. Using the tether could be the di erence between a brain injury or no injury at all.
When should a top tether be used?
Whenever the car seat has a tether and the vehicle has an anchor. In vehicles where there is very little space in the back seat. If the seat belt does not hold your child's seat firmly in place.
When can you stop using a harness in a car seat?
4 years According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, it is best for children to ride in a car seat with a five-point harness for as long as possible, at least to 4 years of age.
At what age do you stop using a car seat carrier?
All children whose weight or height exceeds the forward-facing limit for their car safety seat should use a belt-positioning booster seat until the vehicle seat belt fits properly, typically when they have reached 4 feet 9 inches in height and are 8 to 12 years of age.
Does Graco require top tether?
Graco® recommends using the top tether for all forward-facing car seats in accordance with your vehicle and car seat owner's manuals. Top tethers are used in addition to the lower anchors or the vehicle's seat belt to secure a forward-facing car seat to the vehicle.
What is the difference between anchor and tether?
Think of a hot air balloon tethered to the ground, and a boat anchored to the sea bed. The hot air balloon tether is usually a rope or cable that holds it in place whilst allowing some movement, whereas the anchor is more like a tool used to resist movement.
What are tethers used for in cars?
A tether adds extra protection. Car seats that are tightly installed can do a good job even without tethers. But, in a severe crash, a tether limits the child's motion (A, B). This lessens the chance of serious head and neck injuries.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if your car doesn't have a tether anchor?
You can simply use a different seating position! If you have multiple car seats to fit and a position in your rear seat doesn't have a tether anchor, you can have the forward-facing car seat using that seating position and other car seats that don't require the tether to take other spots.
What happens if my car doesn't have top tether?
Tether anchors can be added to many vehicles manufactured between 1989-1999. Many of these vehicles have the holes pre-drilled in the vehicle, often with the nut in place, so that retrofitting the tether anchor is as simple as ordering the part and screwing in a bolt.
Do you use top tether with high back booster?
A high-backed booster to backless booster may have tethers to clip it to the LATCH anchors in your car. This is not necessary for using the booster seat, but it might be convenient to have your booster seat held in one place. If you're not using LATCH, you can set the booster in the seat where your child will sit.
Which is better top tether or support leg?
Support leg It prevents the child seat tipping over forwards in a collision. They are easier to use than a top tether. However, if there are hollow storage compartments in the floor, the foot of the support leg must not rest on the lid of the compartment because it may collapse under the forces created in a collision.
- Why is a tether necessary?
- Car seats that are tightly installed can do a good job even without tethers. But, in a severe crash, a tether limits the child's motion (A, B). This lessens the chance of serious head and neck injuries. A booster seat does not need a tether, since the lap-shoulder belt restrains the child.
- Where do you attach top tethering?
- Do not assume that you know where these positions are oftentimes. We see people hook them to the wrong things like cargo hooks head to your vehicle manual the child passenger.
- What is the top tether on a car seat strap?
- The Top Tether minimises the rotation of the car seat and thus reduces possible injuries in the head and neck area in the event of a collision.
- What is the top tether on a car seat anchor?
- Top tethers, also referred to as tethers, are used with forward-facing car seats that have a harness. Using a tether is essential. To understand why, think about how a car seat is installed in a vehicle. Use either the seat belt or two lower attachments on the car seat to secure it to the vehicle.
When do you stop use top tether on car seat
|How do you attach a top tether to a car seat?
|Your seat and then you're going to be ready to attach the top tether. Now in your vehicle manual. It's going to State how you need to Route the top tether. So for this seat.
|Why do some car seats have a top tether?
|The Top Tether is a safety device found in ISOFIX child restraint systems ISOFIX child restraint systems. It is the third point of anchorage that secures the upper part of the child car seat to the vehicle and stops it from tipping forward in a crash.
|Can you install car seat without top tether?
|Without it, that sudden forward motion can result in the child's head hitting the back of the front seat, other occupants or even the console, causing serious harm. Clearly the top tether is a critical element of installation!
|Where is the tether point on a car seat?
|The tether anchor symbol looks like a ship's anchor. It might be stamped on plastic, on a cover or next to a cloth label. This anchor symbol marks where the tether anchor is located. The anchor may be on the back of the vehicle seat, on the rear shelf or on the ceiling.
- Where are the tether points on a child seat?
- Anchor points could be located in the parcel shelf, in the back of the rear seat, in the boot floor or even in the roof behind the rear seat. If in doubt check the location of the anchor points in the vehicle's handbook.
- Do all car seats have tethers?
- All forward-facing car safety seats have tethers or tether connectors that fasten to these anchors. Nearly all passenger vehicles and all car safety seats made on or after September 1, 2002, are equipped to use LATCH. See vehicle owner's manual for highest weight of child allowed to use top tether.
- Do all car seats have anchor points?
- All car seats with a 5-point harness have a way to connect to the lower anchors in the vehicle. Most car seats use a lower anchor strap with a hook on each end that hooks onto the vehicle's lower anchors. Some car seats have two separate lower anchor straps, each with a hook on one end.